Wednesday 12 May 2010

2x2 and Contacts Training

Last year I re trained Brian on his weaves using the 2x2 method, it really improved his confidence and his entries and at the time I tried to teach both the girls from scratch but had no luck. (Heidi thought they were jumps missing the cross bar and Megan just wasn't interested). I used V-weaves to train them both which was successful in that it got them doing it but their entries were not so great so this week we have gone back to the 2x2 method with much better results.

Megan is now doing 6 weaves with some pretty good entries and up until today Heidi was doing very well but has got herself all confused today so we need to go back a step I think. We have been doing it in the front garden and there isn't a massive amount of space so I think we will have to venture further afield for some practice. Megan has slowed down in the weaves too but I think her speed will return once she gains confidence in what she is doing.


Today we hired the barn where we have agility training so that Heidi could have some much needed contact training. Conor was doing running contacts with her which work very well when she gets them but she only ever gets then about 50% of the time so for now he has decided to stop her on the contacts like I do with Megan. Megan had a quick couple of goes too although her contacts are good anyway and so did Brian.

(The picture is one took of Heidi last year when she first started training, I liked it so much we have a massive framed version of it above our fireplace)

This weekend we are off to Dog Vegas in Scunthorpe, I'm quite excited as it's Megan's frist Grade 1 show, really all I want from her is to have a good time in the ring and anything else will be a bonus.

No comments: