Wednesday 19 January 2011

Training Continues...

I have realised that re training 3 dogs to running contacts all in one go is probably a bit ambitious so I have had a bit of a re think and have decided to stop doing it with Kody at the moment. Thats not to say we wont try again (more than likely next winter) but I haven't got the time to do all 3 at the moment. Kody has quickly gone back to his stopping on the contacts so there is no harm done.

Megan is doing really well with her A-Frame and Dog walk, I am on a weeks holiday at the moment so we have got lots of practice in this week. I don't envisage any major problems with her although we are still to test them in the ring.

As for Heidi, by yesterday I was totally stuck and had tried everything I could possibly think of and she was just jumping everything. I videoed what we were doing as I usually do and emailed it to Conor for a second opinion and some advice (especially as she is his dog!). He came up with something to try and we have worked on it today and it has gone very well so we will continue our training tomorrow. I think with only having to maintain Kody and Megan's contacts it gives me more time to spend on teaching Heidi what I want.

We have also done some jumping today, teaching both the girls 'in', something we haven't done before and that went well so more on that tomorrow. We have also had the weaves out for the first time in a couple of months and it seems Megan has forgotten them too! This training seems never ending :)

On Saturday we are at Dog Vegas so i'm looking forward to that, it is the first time the girls will be running in Grade 3 (they had to move up when Kody joined us) and I have entered Kody too, I feel a bit sorry for him really, he has a major handicap before he starts, me! I'm not sure yet if Megan will be able to run, she is still in season so unless it comes to an end in the next day or so she will have to sit this one out.

No comments: