Wednesday 21 May 2014

Culverstone Obedience

This weekend we had a bit of a different 'dog' weekend. On Saturday I took Brenda over to Paws in the Park at Ardingly. She had a go at the Dash n Splash and loved it! She got so excited waiting to have her go, bouncing up and down like tigger and barking. She had no hesitation and just jumped straight in! After her go at that we walked around the show and did a bit of research at the have-a-go events as we are doing a have-a-go obedience ring at Dogs Live next month.  I got plenty of ideas for how to run our ring anyway so it was certainly a successful day out.

On Sunday me and Kody went to Culverstone Obedience show. We are only really having a go at the moment to see if it is something we will take a bit more seriously. The bonus of this show was that it was 20mins from home. 

We had a lovely day at the show, it was bigger than any obedience show I had been to before and only our second open show. (I did a few with Brian when he was much younger). Kody seems to really love obedience, I think maybe more than agility! I entered us into Pre Beginner and as i still haven't taught him a retrieve we did introductory as well so that he could do 2 classes. His Pre beginner class went well apart from his recall, he came straight forward and went round the back of my legs instead of stopping. His heel work was lovely though, losing 2 1/2 marks on lead and 1 1/4 off.  His stays were clear also. I was amazed to find out that we had come 8th in the class and as we lost less than 10 points we also got an award of Merit!


In the introductory classes the exercises were all done on lead and I think this caused Kody to be a bit confused as to what I wanted. his heelwork was good and his recall was very good but he broke his stay as we never train that on lead! 

Both judges commented on how well he works and said it would be a shame if we didn't take it further so I guess I had better train him properly now!!!


Congratulations go to club members Georgie and Dolly who came 7th in Beginner Bitch and their first show together and also 7th in Beginner dog with Skye!

No comments: