Tuesday 5 July 2011

Hormone Hell!!!

The last few weeks have been an aboslue nightmare here and how I still have hair left is beyond me! With both the girls being in season there have been an awful lot of hormones raging in our house. Thankfully Heidi's are generally short and was over quite quickly, we are not so lucky with Megan.

Megan has turned into an absolutely horrible monster since her season started, she has become very aggressive towards Brian and Heidi, the only dog she is nice to is Kody. We had an unpleasant incident with Megan last week, she came out to the front of the house with me to the car (which is fenced in with a 4ft fence), as we were outside a lady walked past with her dog, Megan lept over the fence, ran accross the road and had a go at the other dog, resulting in the other dog having a bite on it's leg which although was small, needed veterinary treatment. The dog is ok however we are expecting to recieve a vet bill shortly.

Needless to say I have been at my wits end with her. Her season seems to be nearing its end now and her aggression is subsiding although she has had the occasional grumble at Brian but nothing compared to what it was. She has always been grumpy with her seasons but never anything like this. Thankfully it will be her last as we had already decided she would be spayed after this one although after the few weeks we have had it's likely that Heidi will be done too. (Mainly as having Brian neutered seems like a pointless exercise as Kody is neutered and has actually been worse than Brian with the girls, i've needed eyes in the back of my head as they have all turned into escape artists too, opening doors and jumping baby gates!)

I havent wanted to do any training with Megan at all since she has been so horrid so her dog walk training has taken a back seat although we did resume it yesterday and she hadn't forgotten what we had done so far.

As a result of the last few weeks and lack of training I have had a re think of the shows I had planned for the rest of the year, we are doing Empingham and Dog Vegas at Grantham and 1 day at Scunthorpe so I can enter the ABC qualifier with Kody & Heidi (I doubt Meg's dog walk will be ready) and I had entered the 5 day Vegas in August but I have now cancelled my entry and dont plan to do any more KC shows after Scunthorpe (I have entered Bromsgrove, havent decided whether to cancel it yet). I want to have fun with the dogs and lately it feels like we have lost sight of that so I plan to maybe do a couple of the smaller independant shows just to finish off the season and give the dogs some fun.

It's not all doom and gloom, the Mali's are off on holiday on Friday to stay with Sandra as im going to my cousins wedding (Brian is coming with me), Kody should be pleased about that, not sure what he did when he was with her last week but when he came back she said she'd happily keep him! Sorry Sandra-hands off!

Picture left is Kody in a 'cool coat' at the weekend, he wouldn't let me cool him down with the hose pipe like the others do but was happy to wear the jacket!

No comments: