Monday 2 January 2012

2012

It always seems like a good idea to look back over the past year and see if it went to plan. 2011 provided us with new challenges, we had lots of fun with our agility even if we didn't bring home many rosettes and it had motivated me to try harder next year!

Brian only actually ran once this year, that was at Dog Vegas in July and he did seem to enjoy himself and he was such fun to run, he does seem to prefer the social side to agility though, meeting his friends (dog and human) around the rings. He has continued to do well with his swimming, i'm sure he can't wait to get our pool up again in the summer.

Kody was my biggest challenge last year and one I was totally unprepared for. It hadn't been the plan for me to run him but I'm glad I did. Grade 6 was harder than I ever imagined. Most of the time we didn't get round a course, I just had no clue having been thrown into the deep end but I think it has helped me realise that I need to work on my handling to give him the best chance. Me and Kody joined a new club at the end of the season and although we have to miss every 3rd week due to work I think it is beginning to help us and helps me see different ways of doing things so I can work out what suits us best.

Obviously improving my handling and timing is going to help Heidi massively. Last season was a bit of an ongoing battle with Heidi, starting off with retraining her contacts to a stop after playing around with running ones. I think a stop for her at the moment is the best option, it gives me a second to get control again. Her weaves also required some work as they often caused us issues. She did have some very good runs though, more often than not with just an unlucky pole.

The dog that gave me the most enjoyment to run though had to be Megan. She was just so much fun. Even though she always broke her wait, got her eyes on any tunnel halfway across the ring and went for it and missed most contacts she always enjoyed herself. Coming 3rd in the team event with her brothers and getting placed in G3 jumping (despite me thinking she wasn't ready) were the moments i'll remember. I'm very thankful that she was a part of our lives, even just for a short time. She taught me a lot and will never be forgotten. I hope her and her litter sister Eva who passed away just a few months after Megan, are up to no good together somewhere. They are missed very much.

...So 2012...

I want Brian, Heidi and Kody to be happy and healthy and enjoy life as much as possible. I would love to get a clear round with Heidi (well more than 1 but we have to start somewhere) and to handle Kody in a way that helps him progress (and not confuse him).

We have been a bit slow on the training front with one thing and another but I resumed Heidi's 2x2 retraining yesterday and it is going very well. She was never trained using this method but you can see from the video she is making improvements. (The video really was for me to test the new editing software i've got-but i've posted it anyway).


Over the next few weeks i've only got 3 days at work so I'm hoping for some dry days so we can really get on now. Already the schedules for shows are coming out I'm beginning to worry-we're just not ready!!!

Anyway, Happy New Year! Have a MAD 2012!

No comments: